Conflict and Housing, Land and Property Rights: A Handbook on Issues, Frameworks and Solutions
Cambridge University Press, 2/21/2011
EAN 9781107005068, ISBN10: 110700506X
Hardcover, 312 pages, 22.8 x 15.2 x 2.1 cm
Housing, land and property (HLP) rights, as rights, are widely recognized throughout international human rights and humanitarian law and provide a clear and consistent legal normative framework for developing better approaches to the HLP challenges faced by the UN and others seeking to build long-term peace. This book analyses the ubiquitous HLP challenges present in all conflict and post-conflict settings. It will bridge the worlds of the practitioner and the theorist by combining an overview of the international legal and policy frameworks on HLP rights with dozens of detailed case studies demonstrating country experiences from around the world. The book will be of particular interest to professors and students of international relations, law, human rights, and peace and conflict studies but will have a wider readership among practitioners working for international institutions such as the United Nations and the World Bank, non-governmental organizations, and national agencies in the developing world.
1. Introduction to the issues - HLP rights and sustainable peace
2. The international HLP rights normative framework
3. Displacement, conflict and HLP rights
4. HLP restitution rights
theory, law and concepts
5. Restitution mechanisms and institutional frameworks
6. United Nations and other peace operations and HLP rights
7. Protracted displacement and political obstacles to the protection of HLP rights
8. Emerging conceptual issues
9. Improving international responses to HLP rights and conflict.